Sunday, January 10, 2010

Photos of Inspiration/Laziness

Sorry I haven't posted in forever! I've really been planning on a sweeping sort of post reflecting on the aesthetic and cultural forces that shaped the past ten years, but I don't know, I got kind of lazy. Plus, I find most of the mainstream aesthetic and cultural forces really depressing, what with our post-globalized world and all. I have also been planning a post on my favorite songs about drugs. Oh, and the one about supermodels. But anyway, I always read blogs where the person was like, "I didn't have internet access for two days and I missed 'blogging' SO MUCH!" but personally, sometimes I just have to take a break from the fast-paced world of fashion blogging. Sure, I love the compliments such as "Your site is a very interesting one. I have an interest in your subject for often. Please will visit you my site sexysluts.com for thank you"." But you know, I do my best to post consistently overall!

Anyway, I'm going to start posting again 4 realz! In the meantime, here are some nice pictures, some of which I've totally had on my computer forever, like those of high-school faves the Velvet Underground. At this point, I'm like, "Have I posted these photos before?" But then again, I am also like, "Whatever."









Oh man, Katharine Hepburn looks so hot here! This is another post I need to do, on the awesome and totally gay female film stars of the 30's and 40's.

PS: Isn't it funny that the clothes noted in my tagline- slouch boots, random belts, and sack dresses, are so over now? But such is the nature of trends.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh, when I saw that picture of Katherine Hepburn I thought it was David Bowie.

Megan Thomas-Melly said...

who is the mod looking boy sitting on the bench in front of the brindled greyhound?? also, that photo of nick cave is wild.

Simone said...

I thought it was Bowie too! OMG, what a babe!

Mary said...

Megan, it's from some obscure 60's movie that I don't know the name of. I have some more stills of it if you wanna see them. Mod haircuts on boys are the best!

Yeah, Dan also said that Katherine Hepburn looked like David Bowie here.

Anonymous said...

i fell for it too! seriously though, the Hep is so hot. i have a great picture of her in these pants that make her look like she is 8 feet tall. totally righteous. this reminds me mary... i have a book that i want to send to you, but you have to promise promise you will send it back. (http://www.amazon.com/Sexuality-Space-Princeton-Papers-Architecture/dp/1878271083)
xoxo
julia

julia aka garconniere said...

oh, my, goodness. i completely second the motion for the need of a post about the awesome and totally gay female film stars of the 30's and 40's.

Morag said...

Amazing. This entire blog just made my day.

threadbared said...

My co-blogger just posted a funny, and insightful, post on her feelings of guilt when she posts late! (http://threadbared.blogspot.com/2010/01/why-i-feel-guilty-when-i-dont-blog.html) But I wanted to introduce myself, because I co-write Threadbared and I'm always excited to find smart, critical, and well-written style blogs. Let's be blog pals!

Mary said...

Thanks for all the good comments. I am reading a book about the numerous lesbians of early Hollywood, and when I am done I am totally going to do a post on them, complete with photos of Greta Garbo topless and lots of vintage drag and stuff.

threadbared, I added you on my blog list after checking out your blog-it looks like our blogs have a lot in common. And ohmygod those red leiderhosen shorts! What a find!