Saturday, November 28, 2009

New Blog!

So I have decided that I'm going to start a new blog (in addition to this blog.) As you know, this is quite a big decision because blogs are important investments and undertakings, just like a Facebook profile, txt msgs, and all intrnts communications, and it's not like I an just abandon this new blog on a whim or anything.

Anyway, as you may or may not know, for some time I have been obsessively collecting online photos of vintage clothing. I was going to upload them all to flickr, but that was taking a long time and even though flickr is kind of organized it just felt like a mess, so instead I have decided to archive them on a new blog, The Fashion Museum, which will be mostly photos and thus far less work.

You can find my "curatorial statement" here. Perhaps, even if you read this blog, you do not care that much about vintage clothing, but like in this blog, my goal is partially to break down the commonly held belief that fashion exists, in it's highest realm, in the designer world and can and should only be accessible to a select few, and instead argue that fashion is and should be an important component of the lives of everyday people, and is an important source of history and culture for women in particular. And also that fashion and clothing is overlooked in history particularly because it has historically been a women's "craft", even though I believe much of it belongs in the same world that "art" does.

But, mostly, The Fashion Museum blog will be photos of cool clothes, not just paragraphs of liberal arts-y theorizing.

PS: While I was writing this, the computer turned on the "narrarator" function and started to read stuff in that robot voice! Once when I was in seventh grade computer class we discovered that function on our computers and we kept making the computer say, "You killed my father. Prepare to die," over and over again in different robot voices. Hi-larious!

1 comment:

Simone said...

Yay! I'm excited about your new blog! Will go look at it now.