Monday, April 23, 2007

Things That Are Nice

Like most people, when I spot something on eBay I would desperately like to possess but it too expensive/ not practical, I save the photo in a special file on my computer, according to the decade of the piece, and sigh and look over the pictures of all that lovely vintage from time to time. Also, sometimes I get angry I lost the auction.

As for trends, the flapper look goes in and out, and finding an authentic, 1920's flapper dress for a decent price on eBay isn't too hard, though one of this caliber is rather rare. The intricate, beautiful art deco beading and sequins, the drop waist, and fluttery, handkerchief-esque hemline are all features that have been echoed in different styles and trends, but originated in dresses like this, made for dancing in the 1920's. So instead of purchasing lots of disposable 80's poly vintage, maybe think about buying one or two authentic, well-made pieces whose details were later perverted to create the sack dresses and whatnot everyone is so desperate to put on today.

1 comment:

Simone said...

that dress is so freaking gorgeous. I just got this awesome 40s number for like 30 bucks... i'll have to take a photo and send it to you. it's tres fierce.