Sunday, January 28, 2007

Crazy In Love....With this Outfit!

This 2004 Video Awards look courtesy of Miss Beyonce Knowles received a lot of flak. However, I still have it saved on my computer, two and half years later, because I think it rules so much. Before people started wearing formal shorts as some sort of bizarre trend, Beyonce rocked the gold lamé hot pants suit, complete with huge frosted hair, rhinestones, and massive hoop earrings. She looks like a cross between 60's era Priscilla Presley and Ann-Margret, and 70's era Pam Grier. It is, in a word, fierce.

GFY didn't like this outfit for a multitude of reasons, one of which was that it made Beyonce look fat. "Elephantine", I believe, was the word they used. Now, GFY isn't a fat-hating blog or anything, but in this case, I have to disagree. Sure, this outfit emphasizes the fact that Beyonce doesn't (or didn't used to; she has lost a lot of weight and quite a bit of sass since this picture was taken) have skinny legs or narrow hips, but to me, that's not a bad thing. Much like the Rinko Kikuchi outfit, it's refreshing.

If you're going to go for a glam, trashy, Las Vegas style look, please, don't go for the Pussycat Dolls route and just dress like a tawdry mall rat/ho who shops at Rave. Take a cue from the Beyonce of old, the one who had huge hair and wore feathers and danced with Prince in another picture I have saved on my computer and may have been my wallpaper for awhile. If the Beyonce of the early mid 2000's taught us anything, it's that glitz doesn't mean having to dress like the late 90's and early 2000's Britney Spears. We can do better, and, for a time, Beyonce did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, I like GFY, but they are tyrants! And I say that the tyranny must end.