Saturday, January 20, 2007

Naomi from "Mama's Family"

When I was a kid, I thought Naomi, from Mama's Family, was really beautiful. She was always wearing, like, an off-the-shoulder orange knit dress with huge hoop earrings and some weird early 80's perm. I still sort of admire the style of Naomi, because I have a bit of a soft spot for trashy-looking ladies who are influenced by the late 70s. Sort of a Jodie Foster in Taxi Driver look-it's trashy in this really pure, kind of charming way, with lots of oversized gold jewelery and hot pants and roller skates and big curly hair and maybe oversized hats. There's an attempt at fanciness with this look that I guess I just sort of love, even though I know it is also one which one must usually keep a safe distance.

Anyway, the point is, I could see Naomi wearing this "Striped Pom Pom Sweater" from shopbop.com. However, no matter how much I appreciate Naomi's style for what it is, this top is very, very wrong, especially in the context in which it is presented. I can't imagine anyone wanting it, and not just because of the terrible shape/color/curtain-ishness, but because the model looks like she wants to kill you and everyone else for being placed inside this ruffled horror.


And like the Urban Outfitters pants below, the stylist for the shoot seemed at a total loss concerning what to pair this number with, and finally were all, "I guess these track short looking things?" If you're going to pair this top with something, don't tone it down. Don't hide what it is. I say gold pants and oversized hoop earrings. That's how Naomi would have done it.

No comments: