Friday, January 19, 2007

Ugly UO Item of the Day

There are so many ugly things at Urban Outfitters, I could probably list a new one every day and never run out. But today, I will focus on these "Lux Drawstring Linen Pants." They're drawstring. They're baggy. They're heavily pleated. They're "high rise." They come in a color I personally might call "tobacco." And they're linen, a fabric I find both ugly and unwearable, as it wrinkles as soon as you touch it, and looks sacklike even if the garment is trim and well-tailored. These pants would look like a sack no matter what they were made out of, but the fact that they're linen makes them even worse. I like how they've paired them with what looks like shiny black leather pointy-toe flats, as if that matches. When I see these pants, I see them paired with a rumpled tunic made out of hemp, or perhaps something tie-dyed, and a pair of crusty Birkenstocks. But if I had my way, I would probably choose not to see them at all. Will the young people of the world spend $58 to look like a 53-year old man who sells homemade bongs at the flea market? Time will tell.

1 comment:

Simone said...

AUUUGGGHHH THE PLEATS! LINEN! PLEATS! DRAWSTRING!

seriously, people, it's not like we're living in communist east germany anymore. we don't HAVE to wear potato sacks issued by the government. Its called choice, people!